?

Log in

No account? Create an account
magical maestro - here is where i live

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> <3

me!
contact info
writing/art journal
flickr
youtube
last.fm
social networking and potential boning
okcupid
myspace
facebook

April 4th, 2008


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:25 am - magical maestro


now being a great cartoon aside (tho it is), i post this for a reason. at first i was going to let it stand on its own and see what people said, but that would just be stirring up shit. here is why i posted this- i imagine one of the main responses would've been some variation on 'omg offensive stereotypes', which i definitely felt myself, especially at the asian cymbal-head bit which for some reason youtube insists on making the main frame. but then, what in this cartoon ISN'T a stereotype of something? if i cringe at the indian, why not at the magician pulling rabbits out of hats, or the angry old man in the balcony throwing things at the stage?
it reminded me of an interview on npr recently - they were talking to the guy who played Long Duk Dong in sixteen candles, and why he took a stereotype role etc. one person called in to point out that EVERY character in that movie is a complete and total stereotype.
state: thanks steve!

(5 shots upside the head | en garde!)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:jaymeeduck
Date:April 4th, 2008 06:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Correct me if I'm wrong (I often am), but it seems that John Hughes 80's teenage movies were full of stereotypes. On purpose. Kind of the point, wasn't it? *cough*breakfast club*cough*
[User Picture]
From:kingnixon
Date:April 29th, 2008 05:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
i think there's a difference between archetypes and stereotypes, but pretty much yeah i agree.
[User Picture]
From:columbasimplex
Date:April 4th, 2008 09:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
if i cringe at the indian, why not at the magician pulling rabbits out of hats

Because I'm pretty sure that historically there hasn't been a tremendous amount of anti-magician violence, oppressive legal policies, etc. etc. There are stereotypes and then there are offensive stereotypes, and stereotypes that are based in race and ethnicity tend to be particularly offensive not just because they have long been used to justify terrible acts of injustice. You would probably react very differently to a stereotyped image of, I don't know, Sven the Swede than you would to the image of the chinky chinky Chinaman in his cymbal hat, because you don't carry any historical baggage of bigotry against Swedes in your psyche.
[User Picture]
From:kingnixon
Date:April 29th, 2008 06:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
there has certainly been anti-magician violence! witch hunts, people burned at the stake for sorcery, people arrested for supposed satanic rituals, etc.
meanwhile, i see your point about historical bigotry, but it doesn't quite make it for me. positive stereotypes can be bad too - tell an asian he must be good at math, see what the response is
[User Picture]
From:zombeer
Date:April 16th, 2008 05:57 pm (UTC)

you're welcome dan!

(Link)
i dont care how racist it is, i goddam love this cartoon!!!!!!

the tiny blackface dog? cmon that shit is funny. kids dont understand racist stuff! they just like the tiny dog talking ina funny voice. i dont think they should change any of these old cartoons like theyve been doing.(i was shocked to see a tom and jerry cartoon on cartoon network this morning since they removed them from existence years ago due to violence(?)) people shouldnt try to change history. i mean, they still teach about slavery in schools. everyone is too easily offended.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com